Rhinoplasty (Nose Surgery)
CONVENIENTLY LOCATED TO SERVE NEW YORK CITY, MANHATTAN, LONG ISLAND, & NEW JERSEY.
Your nose is one of the first things people notice about your face, especially if the other features don’t look balanced. Whether they’ve always wanted to make a change, had an injury, or struggled with obstructed breathing, people have discovered that nose surgery, or rhinoplasty in New York City, by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Francesco Gargano, can improve their appearance and their quality of life.
FRANCESCO GARGANO MD
WHAT IS RHINOPLASTY? (NOSE SURGERY)
A rhinoplasty—or “nose job”—can reshape your nose and improve the way it blends with the rest of your facial features. For some patients, even semi-minor revisions, such as smoothing out protruding cartilage on the bridge, will make the entire nose appear more proportionate. This surgical procedure can also be performed to improve breathing function by relieving nasal airway obstruction caused by structural issues such as a deviated septum.
WHY CHOOSE DR. GARGANO FOR RHINOPLASTY?
Choosing a qualified surgeon is essential when contemplating any surgical procedure; when it comes to rhinoplasty, whether for cosmetic or reconstructive benefit, experience is vital. The nose’s underlying tissue and connective structure contain a very dense network of veins; surgical inexperience can increase the possibility of complications.
Board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon Best Plastic Surgeons in NYC, Dr. Francesco Gargano, has immense experience in rhinoplasty and strives to provide exceptional resul
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING RHINOPLASTY
Dr. Gargano uses one of two techniques when performing (nose surgery) and will provide more information during the consultation. After the doctor examines the patient’s facial and nasal anatomy, he will determine which of the following two methods is appropriate:
- Closed rhinoplasty or the endonasal approach is the preferred method by Dr. Gargano because it does not leave scars on the columella. By using the closed method when possible, external incisions are avoided, and the elasticity of the nasal tip is preserved. Dr. Gargano will make the necessary incisions within the nostrils when performing closed rhinoplasty.
- Open rhinoplasty is a technique that uses an incision across the columella, the tissue between the nostrils. Dr. Gargano uses this technique when more extensive reconstruction is anticipated, such as in cleft patients or severe traumatic nasal deformities.
Dr. Gargano gently lifts the soft tissues which cover the nose during both methods and will go on to sculpt the cartilage and bone to the desired shape. Any additional cartilage necessary for raising the nose can often be taken from the septum.
If the patient has a deviated septum, Dr. Gargano will adjust the nose septum and inner nasal structures to improve respiration. The tissues are then redraped, and incisions are stitched closed. If the patient wants a reshaping of the nostril, this is done in the final stage of rhinoplasty.
Generally, rhinoplasty is an ambulatory procedure, and the entire surgery lasts from one to two hours.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER RHINOPLASTY
A recovery time of one or two weeks is usually sufficient after rhinoplasty. If the patient’s work or usual activities are physically strenuous, additional time would be advised before resuming their full regular schedule. Following these instructions is essential to help reduce swelling and promote healing.
After rhinoplasty, there will be swelling and bruising that may extend to the undereye area. It is usual for the bruising to increase with some significance during the first couple of days following surgery. Mild discomfort and tenderness are likely to occur initially but are well managed with ice packs and medication if needed.
Complete healing after rhinoplasty is approximately six weeks for most patients. Smoking interferes with the healing process and should be avoided during recovery to reduce the potential for complications such as infection.
ARE YOU A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR RHINOPLASTY?
The best candidates for rhinoplasty:
- Are at least 16 years old
- Have finished facial growth
- Are generally healthy
- Do not smoke
- Does not use illicit drugs such as cocaine
- Have realistic goals for the procedure
- Are seeking rhinoplasty for personal reasons, not because of pressure from others
WHAT CAN RHINOPLASTY DO FOR YOU?
Rhinoplasty is an excellent treatment to achieve the following:
- Balancing nose size and other facial characteristics
- Modifying the width of the nose at the bridge
- Improving nasal profile including removal of humps and depressions
- Contouring a nasal tip that is too large, “boxy,” drooping, or upturned
- Changing the angle between the nose and the mouth
- Narrowing and reshaping the nostrils
- Correcting asymmetry or deviation
HOW MUCH DOES RHINOPLASTY COST?
The cost of rhinoplasty surgery varies and is determined by each patient’s unique surgical plan. Dr. Gargano will create a customized plan during the consultation that will include price information. Members of the billing team will be available to answer questions on forms of payment accepted.
Meet Dr. Gargano
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, New York
Dr. Francesco Gargano has extensively trained around the world and is committed to healing through individualized care. He is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the European Board of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. He is also a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). Dr. Gargano received his medical degree from the Sapienza University of Rome in Italy, graduating magna cum laude. He continued his education at Sapienza University where he earned his PhD in Plastic Surgery, Human Anatomy and Dermatology, and completed his first residency in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.
BEFORE & AFTERS
View our featured gallery to review some before and afters from real patients.